4.10.2014

Do You Want to Be a Mermaid?

When my daughter was little she dreamed of being a mermaid and becoming "part of that world". With lots of sparkle, jewel-tones of the sea, and fin-like texture the Mermaid Me Blanket can bring your little one's imagination to life! Worked in simple motifs and then joined-as-you-go, constructing the tail is very easy. The sparkly fringe is crocheted right along with the border to make it even simpler. Lots of pictures, diagrams and special notes will help you make a mermaid tail blanket that will transform your little loved one into a sparkly mermaid and be treasured for years to come. (It is a blanket that lays over your lap, not a cocoon.)

Mermaid Me Blanket -- Crochet Pattern



Design Wars Mini-Challenge Swanky Mermaid Me Blanket

This blanket was made with Red Heart Yarns Swanky--a new sequined worsted weight yarn with shimmery sheen and lovely drape! The jewel-toned colors are perfect for this design, too. But there are endless options if you don't have access to Swanky or just want something a little less delicate (Swanky is perfect for a photo-prop, but not ideal for play). One that I played with was this one...


Mermaid Me Blanket Crochet Pattern

It's Red Heart Unforgettable in just two shades--Dragonfly and Tidal, but you could use more colors, too. Some of my testers worked it up in a bunch of different colors that I loved. So use your imagination and have fun!

Mermaid Me Blanket Crochet Pattern

This pattern may look tricky but the motif is actually very simple. And I provide lots of help with diagrams to help in the joining process--which is JOIN-AS-YOU-GO!! Phew. I like that! I rate the skill level of this pattern at experiened only because of the joining. But with the extra detailed explanation I provide or previous experience with join-as-you-go, you'll be connecting those little scales and making your very own mermaid tail in no time!

This was my Design Wars mini-challenge entry, so it was really about making something kinda impressive and bold, not necessarily practical. I think this fits the bill!

Mermaid Me Blanket Crochet Pattern

You can start to work on making that little girl (or yourself) your very own mermaid tail blanket! Find the pattern on Etsy or LoveCrafts

Isn't imagination the BEST?!!

Keep in the "Button" loop by following me around on Facebook here or Instagram (@FeltedButton) here.  That way you'l keep up with the newest patterns and yarny fun.

| On the Board | -- Try not to look sideways to see how others are viewing our lives, but look up to see how Heavenly Father sees us.     ~Carl B. Cook

47 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan - how spectacular is that?! Can't wait to have a go - and the yarn is perfect. Hugs, Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolurely wonderrrrrrful Susan!!! I know one or two little mermaids here in this part of the wprld who would love a mermaid blanket like that! The yarn is gorgeous too ...I'm thinking a nice summer shawl would look good using that yarn.
    Totally agree... imagination rocks!!!!


    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this idea is GREAT!!!!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is so cute.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beyond adorable!! I just love to see original, different and new crochet ideas. You are so very creative and talented Susan. Take your bow! penny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how to crochet but this makes me wish that I did!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should give it a try, Marcella! It's such a fun and therapeutic craft!

      Delete
    2. there are videos on YOUTUBE teaching beginning crochet. It is really not that hard

      Delete
  7. Where can I get the pattern for the little mermaid blanket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can purchase the pattern in any of my shops, your preference, linked in the above post--Ravelry, Etsy or Craftsy. Ravelry link is this...

      http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mermaid-me-blanket

      Delete
  8. Is it possible to make this larger. I have a 27 year old niece that would love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not until just recently have folks expressed an interest in a larger size. I imagine if you were confident, you could add additional rows for length and additional columns of motifs for width, although it may alter the proportions slightly.

      Delete
  9. I'm going to make this blanket for my SON. (Not only girls want to be mermaids!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrific, Leah! I hope he loves it!

      Delete
    2. I think they call that King Triton lol

      Delete
  10. About how long does this pattern take to work up?

    Thanks!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously it depends on your crochet speed. There are approximately 250 motifs, at somewhere between 5-7 minutes each. I'm guestimating between 20-24 hours.

      Delete
  11. I am in love !! My daughters would love this blanket ! Is there somewhere I can purchase ? Unfortunately my hands aren't as crafty 😕😍😍😍💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristal! I can make it for you! Check out my page on facebook www.facebook.com/whatthestitch :)

      Delete
  12. Cristal, Do you mean purchase the already made blanket? There are a number of folks around the web (Ravelry, Etsy) who do custom crochet work and might be willing to comission making the blanket for you using my pattern. If you search Etsy for "custom crochet" you will find dozens of shops that do made-to-order work. And there might be someone in your neighborhood, as well! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you tell me how many skeins are required for a child size blanket? We would like to make these for some sick children at our local children's hospital. But have to watch our cost and we depend on volunteer help. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to do, Amy! The sample blanket calls for 9 skeins of Red Heart Swanky which is a worsted medium weight yarn (4). A total of 1400-1600 yards (1280 - 1463 m) was used in the sample.

      Delete
    2. Does the blanket just lay across the lap or is it sleeping bag style?

      Delete
  14. Can you recommend a step by step instructional book or video to learn how to crochet? My 11 yr old daughter wants to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting that your daughter wants to learn to crochet! It's such a wonderful craft! I think that Moogly has a wonderful video series for beginners (http://www.mooglyblog.com/category/video-tutorials/) and there are an abundance of videos on YouTube, as well. Happy hooking!

      Delete
  15. I would like to know if you have a step by step video on how to make this specific mermaid blanket. I have two little girls that I would love to make them this blanket. I love to crochet been doing it since I was a little girl. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a video of this blanket as I don't currently have the technology to make it available. If you have been crocheting since you were a little girl, this pattern should be easy as the motifs themselves are quite simple and I provide lots of visual help in the phototutorial with captions to help you through the joining process. Please contact me if you need additional help! I'm certain your little girls will love their mermaid tail blankets!

      Delete
  16. Is this front and back like they slip in it or just a lap blanket? I'm a beginner at this but I think I can figure it out! I would love to make this for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, As noted above it is a blanket that lays over your lap, not a cocoon. If you wanted to make two and seam them along the sides, I suppose you could make it into a bag.

      Delete
  17. Cutest. Thing. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where can I get the actual pattern for thus blanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it off the Felted Button.

      Delete
  19. Love. Love. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Has anyone made an adult one yet?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is AWESOME!!! I can not crochet, but I'm putting in an order to my Mother-In-Law!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! A mother-in-law to help!! Thank you for the kind comment!

      Delete
  22. I just purchased a pattern from you for the little mermaid throw. Now I can't find where the pattern went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, please PM me on Facebook (Facebook.com/FeltedButton) or contact me via email at feltedbutton@gmail.com and we'll get this figured out. If I know where you purchased (Etsy, Craftsy, or Ravelry) and when, it is super helpful so I know where to direct you.

      Delete
  23. Is there a conversion pattern to knit this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only a crochet designer and not much of a knitter. So sorry.

      Delete
  24. If I paid u to make me one would u?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April,
      Thanks for your interest in this blanket! I'm not currently doing custom crochet work as I focus my time designing, but there are many folks on Etsy, Facebook, and Ravelry who do. A search for custom crochet work there might prove fruitful!

      Delete
  25. I recently purchased the pattern. I do have a question about the joining process. Am I reading this correctly when it says that you make the first motif and join the second one using the 4th row in the second motif?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Salonge, you are correct. If you have further questions, please contact me via PM on my Facebook page at Facebook.com/FeltedButton. Thanks!

      Delete
  26. Do you have a better picture of the placements of the motifs because the blue and green look almost exactly alike and it's hard to tell them apart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the diagram on a different monitor may help. But, the motifs were randomly placed in equal amounts, so it's not super critical where you place them. Feel free to contact me via PM on Facebook, Etsy or Ravelry if you have further questions.

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts, and I read each and every comment! Take a minute to say hello! Because remember, "Sharing is nice!"

You Might Also Like::

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...