3.20.2013

::Paintbrush Pillow Cover & Afghan Pattern::



Looking a little like colorful sweeps with a fan-shaped paintbrush, I'm calling this the Paintbrush Pillow Cover. You can find it here or here.



I wrote it with simple instructions to make an afghan, as well, by including the multiples it's an easy thing to do. And I can only imagine the things that could be done with different colors.

This is my first prototype.


It is such a fun pattern to work with--you know the kind that once you get in the groove after the first repeat, you can just work along the row and relax a bit. This is one of those patterns. 


But, oh, the texture and color and rhythm of it. I'm pretty tickled.


So I decided to make my pillow back with something different than crochet. Off to the thrift store, I went. 


While there I found this old felted wool cardigan and used it for the back. No creating buttonholes or even sewing on buttons. Easy is good. Any old wool cardigan that's feltable would work brilliantly. Toss it in the washer so there's no unraveling and it's super easy to cut to fit as the pillow back. And then the buttons are already done, too.


And I suppose you could crochet a double sided Paintbrush pattern if you didn't want to dig out an old sweater. Or even a piece of fleece that doesn't fray would work nicely. Goodness, what about a plain dc back?
Paintbrush Pillow crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

The pattern includes a materials list, instructions for the pillow front and how to felt the sweater back. It also has over 35 pictures that show how to join it all together and gets you through any tricky spots. Get your pattern...


I hope you love it as much as I do. Let's get painting!

{On the Board} -- Keep Calm and Laugh Like Crazy!


32 comments:

  1. Love it! And I love the simplicity of repurposing an old sweater for the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this at Rav -- I love it!! Totally buying :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get the pattern free on AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com called Clam Shell Crochet afghan and just make it a pillow size instead of an afghan.

      Delete
    2. I checked - it's not the exact same pattern. It's close, but this one is much prettier!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy stopping by your blog. You always have beautiful, creative and different creations.
    The pillow is FAN-tastic!
    Happy Weekend, penny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, All! You say the nicest things! Penny, I love your play on words--the FAN-tastic pillow would have been a great name! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just pinned this! Would love to make one someday. got you from Petals to Picots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wer is the pattern.. I'm not able to c it.. Can someone help..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find it in my Etsy, Ravelry, and Craftsy shops. The links are in the post above, first paragraph.
      Susan

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous, gorgeous, Susan! I love this pattern. You really know how to work with color! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! I'd love to work an afghan with this pattern--linked here from moogly's Hooking on Hump Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get a free pattern at AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com under Clamshell Crochet Afghan.

      Delete
  10. I agree! This is so pretty and colorful! Thank you for sharing your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing on Blog Stalking Thursday! I have featured this project on Pinterest as well as my blog on Blog Stalking Thursday Features. I would love for you to stop by and grab a feature button, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is stunning. I saw in an earlier blog you were looking for testers for this pattern. Did you perhaps get anyone in South Africa to test it, and if so what yarn did they use. I would so much have liked to be a tester in South Africa for you.
    Regards
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really like this design, and so cute on a pillow!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that pattern, but is it possible for learn what brand of yarn you used?
    your stitches are so beautiful and even

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarns were just bits and pieces from my stash and I'm sorry I didn't keep a better record of which I used. The white is most certainly Pound of Love by Lion Brand--a worsted weight acrylic. Thanks so much for the nice compliment!

      Delete
  16. I purchased the pattern to make a afghan. There are no material amounts for the afghan. How much yard will it take to make a afghan?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made an afghan like this from a kit in the 1960's.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just saw it on Pinterest and HAD to buy the pattern :)
    Thank you Susan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi my name is Evela from Indiana...I purchased this pattern yesterday and am having a little trouble understanding the pattern. do you by any chance do a tutorial on this pattern. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evela, I do not have a tutorial currently beyond the pictures included in the pattern but am happy to help you if you are stuck. Please contact me at feltedbutton@gmail.com. Once you get rolling, it really flows nicely!

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi want to buy your paint brush pillow and afghan please can you tell me what stitches are used please

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, and I read each and every comment! Take a minute to say hello! Because remember, "Sharing is nice!"

You Might Also Like::

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...