2.26.2013

::Blooms in Winter::

A happy little surprise occurred this week. Wanna see?



My amaryllis bloomed. It is altogether lovely, don't you think? 


I got the bulb from my dear friend, Karie over at Karie's Chic Creations. (Thank you, friend!) I am always amazed that inside that not-so-pretty bulb is stored sufficient energy and info to produce so much beauty. And I literally think I could have watched it grow--it was so fast! 

Karie did a really sweet post about us and our crazy crochet and "junking" adventures together. You can read about it on her awesome blog here.

I also have been working on another Dit Dah Blanket in an entirely different color scheme.

Rather than this...


I did it like this...


It's always amazing to me how the same pattern can produce such different effects when using different yarns. But I love it so far. And it is super soft and squishy! It is so fruity looking--I am loving this color scheme. 


It all started from 5 balls of Ice yarn (from Turkey) that my friend Katie gifted to me. She's a giver--of time, talents, and thrift store finds. (More on that in a second.) The labels on the balls don't tell me much--but it looks to be a mini pom pom yarn with little tufts along a thin thread--finer than boucle. I held it together with a white worsted for the "Dah" rows and interchanged it with a single strand of worsted in coral, pale orange, warm yellow, and fern green for the "Dit" rows. 
I haven't decided on what colors to use in the border, but I'll show you as soon as I am finished.


Back to Katie. I think her "Love Language" is gift-giving. (If you haven't read the book "The Five Love Languages" you should. Totally worth it--and helpful for ALL relationships, not just your love.)

She also gave me the chalkboard below--remember it? It has been on my front porch this winter weathering the snow and ice. Since my city is known for its fierce winds I should have known better but my little chalkboard took a tumble in it. No worries--it survived a little ouchie and will continue to leave you (and my neighbors) uplifting and happy messages. 


Today's message:

{On the Board} -- Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy YARN which is kind of the same thing.



6 comments:

  1. That quote is very true! However my bf seems to think otherwise as the yarn is momentarily occupying the house ;) The colour scheme of the seceond Didah blanket is awesome! I normally don't really like variegated yarn but this one indeed came out like a fruit toffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new blanket is looking fruity and squishy but the Dit dah is lost, I think. Could u share some more pics? Gorgeous blooms. I too recently discovered the 5 languages of love. Very enlightening.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you would be able to do something fabulous with that yarn! Much better than anything I could have come up with! Your creations inspire me! I love you friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new blanket colours and what a beautiful colour the amarylis is :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love it. Those colors make me happy. Is that a double ruffle edge!?! (squeal) I didn't notice it before. I was so hoping you would do one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you sweet girl friend you always amaze me. The blankets are gorgeous! As always. The flower is beautiful and I am so glad you enjoy it and it brings cheerfulness to your already cheerful home. Love the quote! And I must read the book. So much good stuff you have today. Hugs to you my dear zany, crazy friend. (birds of a feather flock together)!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, and I read each and every comment! Take a minute to say hello! Because remember, "Sharing is nice!"

You Might Also Like::

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...