1.07.2015

Monet's Garden Throw Crochet Pattern

Thanks to my fabulous Facebook followers my latest design got the most fitting name...


Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

This design has been seriously sooo much fun to make. Here's why I loved designing it:
~It is COLORFUL!
~It is snuggly and the sample is the perfectly sized throw!
~It can be made any dimensions you want.
~It is join-as-you-go.
~The flowers provide so much fun texture--just barely opening like buds.
~You can really go to town with arranging the colors any way you want and really feel like an artist!
~I think the lattice-leafy-looking background and border are just the right touch for a garden feel.
~The back of the throw is pretty fabulous, too!

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

Yep. This design makes me seriously happy.

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

Making this baby started with making the flowers--288 in all. That sounds like a lot, but they work up super fast and I found the "surprise" of seeing which color came off my hook each time seriously fun! It's sort of like watercolor paints.

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

Not one to be afraid of ends (and working over the first of each flower), I was thrilled to see this beautiful collection of budding color!

Then I got to play with the colors! I laid them out carefully on my bed.

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

Moving this one...switching those two...ahhh, there! That's just right. But now what? I've gotta crawl in that bed in a couple of hours. And these flowers don't stack.

Thinking...thinking.

Ah-ha! I've got it! What if...

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

...I took dowels or skewers, labeled them with the row numbers on tape (which helps to keep the flowers from falling off the end, too), and inserted the dowel through the center of each flower, row by row?

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

I now have flower kabobs--all organized and portable and space-saving while I work on the join-as-you-go! I'm pretty tickled with this solution. I would simply pull off the next flower in the row I was working and join it. Problem solved.

Speaking of joining, I'm pretty tickled with how it goes for this one. 

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

If you've never tried join-as-you-go--it's fabulous! Have no fear, I provide a complete photo-tutorial (no need to print) to help you through. 

For this project, I used 10 colors of Red Heart Unforgettable, but you could use fewer (or more, too) of this or any long color-run yarn to get a similar effect. And although it says it is worsted, the Unforgettable actually seems more like a DK/light worsted to me.

Monet's Garden Throw crochet pattern by Susan Carlson of Felted Button

I hope you love it as much as I do! You can read more details about yarn quantities, dimensions of this sample, hook size and all that stuff in the listing in my shops:

Have a super terrific day and remember to stay in the "Button" loop by subscribing to the newsletter (top of the sidebar) or following me around on Instagram (@FeltedButton), Pinterest or Facebook.

| On the Board | -- The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home.                                                 ~~Harold B. Lee
Susan Carlson of Felted Button--Colorful Crochet Patterns

36 comments:

  1. This is simply stunning as all your patterns are....do you tell how to organize colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! Yes, I provide tips for layout in the pattern, but obviously not exactly as each flower ends up unique.

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blanket is enchanting. I love every aspect of it! Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your sweet words, Lauren. So happy to hear you like it!

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a beautiful blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blanket is truly beautiful. It looks delicate but so warm and snuggly too. Just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is really snuggly as the flowers give it some texture and weight. The background is lacey and lighter--so it's a great weight for snuggling under!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! I'm pretty tickled about it!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I like flowers colors! And background - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Playing with the flower colors was so much fun, too! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for always taking a minute to comment, BJ. You are too kind.

      Delete
  9. Stunning blanket - I'm in love with it too, Susan! And the name is perfect indeed. Also love the tip on the kabobs ..... very smart! Marianne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of your support and kindness, Marianne! I thought the name was fitting, too!

      Delete
  10. Your work is stunning as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline! That means so much coming from you! I simply love your work!

      Delete
  11. Hi! I've been reading your blog for a while but never commented before. This time though, I felt compelled. Wow, what a beautiful beautiful blanket! The colors, the design... fabulous! You are a very very talented lady! You mention using Red Heart Unforgetable yarn, being in the UK I found it on Amazon.UK but there are several (ie Sunrise, Echo Dragonfly...) may I ask which one(s) you use please? Also what green yarn did you use? Do you explain in the PDF where to place the different flowers for the same effect as your blanket? I'm not colour blind but I might as well be for all I cannot put colours together and make them look nice, all I can do is copy!!!
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us.
    Regards,
    Corinne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind comment, Corinne! I used 9 different colors of Red Heart Unforgettable, but actually, any yarn with really long color runs would work well. Forgive me, I do not have the pattern in front of me, so am unable to identify the exact colorways. I do explain in a general way how to lay out the flowers, but can't exactly as each individual skein will produce flowers with slight variations. It's easier than it looks to make it look pretty, even for someone who is not skilled with color. The green yarn is Caron Simply Soft, a worsted medium (4) acrylic yarn--6 skeins total. I hope this helps!

      Delete
  12. Wow Susan, I think this is one of the most beautiful blankets I have seen ... the colour palette is perfect, just lovely! Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pat! I loved playing with these colors! It really let the creative/colorful juices flow!

      Delete
  13. Wow, this blanket is beautiful. Prob one of the most gorgeous I have seen. I love the shades of the flowers, and the green was the perfect leafy color. I follow and share. I seen this on Hookin On Hump Day. Thanks for sharing it. Its just beautiful. I follow and share.
    ~Crystal
    Crochet A Day In The Life
    http://krystlewv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot to tell you how genius the skewer idea was! I loved it! I am crushing on your blanket. So beautiful.
    ~Crystal
    Crochet A Day In The Life
    http://krystlewv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, Thank you so much for your super sweet words! I am happy you found me! If you ever give the skewer idea a try, let me know how it works for you!

      Delete
  15. Beautiful piece of art! You are an artistas! Greetings from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. TODO ES DIVINO!!!!
    ME ENCANTA.
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3/20/2015

    I've started making the flowers and became a bit obsessed with the idea that my petals don't "cup" like yours, but examining your photos closely I think mine are like yours before they are joined - maybe it's the joining that makes them seem to curl in more? Great pattern and the flowers are so portable -It seems I leave a trail of little flowers where ever I go ;)
    I am in the UK and had to cut down on the colours as Deramores only stock a few shades of unforgettable. King Cole riot has a good long colour run and I have added some of that too for anyone wondering about a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Susan
    Fantastic Gorgeous Sweet Beautiful
    I find your blanket Romantic ^_^'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fabulous! I've alreadi too many blankets but if i can find the wool i'll make it.I'm very fond of a work that takes a long time .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8/03/2017

    Absolutely stunning-What a clever way to arrange your work

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, and I read each and every comment! Take a minute to say hello! Because remember, "Sharing is nice!"

You Might Also Like::

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...